TIMELINE OF BEULAH BAPTIST CHURCH
Through much prayer and dedication, Beulah Baptist Church has not only grown but is thriving and indeed blessed by God! The history and growth of Beulah is succinctly chronicled here through our pastoral leadership.
The Beginning - Fall 1915:
The founders of Beulah Baptist Church had the spirit of God move upon their hearts to begin worshiping God for themselves. They met in one another’s homes until they were able to hold services in a church. In 1917, the members purchased land to build the church on Wilmer Street in Steelton and the church was completed in 1922. Reverend Louis Willoughby served as the first official Pastor of Beulah in 1917. Reverend Willoughby served as Pastor until his passing in 1945.
The 1960s through 1970s:
After the passing of Reverend Willoughby, the members elected Reverend Wallace C. Carter who served as Pastor until his passing in 1963. After the passing of Reverend Carter, Reverend Josephus C. Wallace became Interim Pastor in 1963.
Reverend Wallace was elected as Pastor in February 1964. During the pastorate of Reverend Wallace, the church located in the Borough of Steelton’s Redevelopment area was demolished and had to relocate. Land was purchased on Wood Street in Steelton and the church was built and completed two years later at 860 Wood Street. On Easter Sunday April 13, 1966, Beulah held its first worship service. In 1971, the ten-year mortgage held on the church was paid off and burned in five years. Due to health reasons, Reverend Wallace resigned as Pastor in March 1990 and served as Pastor Emeritus until his passing in December 1990. After Reverend Wallace’s resignation, a Pulpit Search Committee was formed to find a new Pastor for Beulah.
The Early 1990s to 2013:
While Beulah was without a Shepherd, several Ministers in the area served Beulah by preaching on Sundays. A new call was given to Reverend Dr. Leon X. Eichelberger I who began serving as the newly elected Pastor of Beulah in February 1991. Reverend Eichelberger was installed as the Pastor in June 1991. Many structural improvements were made to the church on Wood Street. Additionally, the membership grew as given reverence to the Holy Spirit. Reverend Eichelberger had a vision to move from Wood Street to a new edifice on Livingston Street where Beulah currently worships. After a brief march from Wood Street to Livingston Street, the first worship service was held on September 19, 1999. Two years later, the existing mortgage was burned on October 14, 2001. Reverend Eichelberger continued overseeing structural improvements and new Ministries for the body of Christ throughout his tenure. Also during his tenure, there were members licensed under Reverend Eichelberger, Deacons were ordained to the Ministry and new Trustees were added to the Ministry. Reverend Eichelberger served Beulah as Pastor for 20 years before his retirement on Sunday, September 25, 2011.
Reverend Nathan A. Brown served as Interim Pastor from October 2011 through September 2013. During this transition, a new Constitution and Bylaws Committee and a new Pulpit Search Committee were both activated on behalf of the membership. The Constitution and Bylaws Committee would serve the membership to update the Constitution and Bylaws. The Pulpit Search Committee would serve the membership to locate a new Pastor for Beulah. Both the Constitution and Bylaws and Pulpit Search Committees worked tirelessly during these processes. They kept the members informed and engaged with appropriate updates and meetings.
The Present 2013 to Now:
In September 2013, Beulah named Reverend Phillip T. Deal as Pastor-Elect. On Sunday, October 6, 2013, Reverend Phillip T. Deal became the fifth Pastor in the 98-year history of Beulah Baptist Church. He was officially installed as Pastor on Sunday, December 1, 2013. Pastor Deal has a passion to grow and empower the church and organizational leadership. Under his leadership, six ministries have been added to Beulah’s service areas. Small Group discipleship studies have been implemented, in July 2015, the first Leadership Training class was installed to include one Deacon, three Deaconesses, and six Trustees. Pastor Deal has also played an integral part in the 100th Church Anniversary by structuring and organizing the Legacy Campaign to raise funds in an effort to accomplish building improvements. Most importantly, under his two year tutelage at Beulah, more than 150 individuals have surrendered their life to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.